Burrows Hill School
- Historic/Common Name:
- Burrows Hill Schoolhouse
- 125 School House Road
- Hebron »
- 1725 (As per the plaque displayed on then school)
- Notes on Establishment:
- CCT approved in 1996
- Historic Designation:
- LHP, SR
- Property Authority:
- Historic Properties Commission
- Nature of Authority:
- Eligible for Historic Home tax credits:
- General description:
The Burrows Hill Schoolhouse consists of one classroom with plastered walls and vaulted ceiling, and a vestibule of boardwall and matched board ceiling. Double corner posts indicate that the vestibule is an addition. Entry is gained through a plank door in the center of the north gable end, thence to the classroom through a door to the right facing the back gable. The classroom is lighted by six-over-eight reproduction windows, two on each of three exterior walls. Outside, whole-window plank blinds close to protect the glazed sashes. The classroom is wainscoted to the window sill level and plastered above. The barrel-vaulted or coved ceiling is also plastered. Over the years the Burrows Hill Schoolhouse has been modified to meet changing educational requirements and more current standards. Currently, this little schoolhouse provides an accurate picture of elementary education in Hebron circa 1830. 
- Significance of the property:
The Burrows Hill Schoolhouse is a precious gem, being the oldest surviving one-room schoolhouse in Hebron.
- Relationship with the Surroundings:
The schoolhouse stands today on the southeast corner of the intersection of Burrows Hill Road and School House Road, 1.1 miles south of route 66 in Hebron. The designated property is bounded northerly by School House Road, 150 feet; Easterly by land now or formerly of Clifford R. Wright, 130 feet; Southerly by land now or formerly of Clifford R. Wright, 150 feet; Westerly by Burrows Hill Road, 130 feet.
- Building, Open Space
- Historic Use:
- School House
- Present Use:
- Architectural Style:
- 18th Century
- At a special Town Meeting on March 15, 1993, the Town voted to transfer the plot by quit-claim deed to the Hebron Historical Society, which holds the deed of the schoolhouse and its tiny original plot.
- Hebron Historical Society
 Historic property information retrieved from the town website http://www.hebronct.com/.
 Burrows Hill Schoolhouse, Report of Hebron Historic District and Properties Study Committee, 1973, SHPO library, Hartford.
Assessor and GIS information retrieved from the website http://www.mainstreetmaps.com/CT/Hebron/.
Map of the historic property retrieved from the online GIS.View photo
- Date of Compilation:
- Manjusha Patnaik, CT Trust for Historic Preservation