Jordan Park House
- Historic/Common Name:
- Waterford Public Library
- 65 Rope Ferry Road
- Waterford »
- Historic Designation:
- LHP, SR
- Property Authority:
- Historic Properties Commission
- Nature of Authority:
- Eligible for Historic Home tax credits:
- General description:
The building has twelve-over-twelve windows, an interior end chimney which services the large fireplace in the paneled reading room, and a deticulated cornice at the eaves of the slate-covered gable-roof. The entrance bay and vestibule are defined by a pedimented gable carried on square posts. A lunette window fills the west gable end. The building is a good example of the academic Colonial Revival style.
- Significance of the property:
The handsome Colonial Revival building was originally constructed in 1928 to house the Waterford Public Library. Until 1961 it was located on Great Neck Road, but it had to be relocated to make way for the new railroad overpass and realignment of the road. The library facility was then temporarily relocated to the former post office building at 91 Rope Ferry Road until the present library building was completed in 1966. The original building was moved to town-owned property on Jordan Green in 1961, and it became the Jordan Park House, housing the offices of the Recreation and Parks Department until 1984 at which time it became the offices of the Waterford Historical Society. The Jordan Park property (3.8 acres) was a gift to the town in 1952 from Anna L. Nevins, and it was part of the Shaw-Perkins-Nevins farm.
- Relationship with the Surroundings:
The property is located in a residential area. The building is part of a heritage park created on town-owned land on the eastern end of Jordan Village. It is maintained by the Waterford Historical Society, Inc. in cooperation with the Recreation and Parks Department.
- Historic Use:
- Present Use:
- Community Meeting House, Waterford Historical Society offices
- Architectural Style:
- Colonial Revival
- 20th Century
- Town of Waterford
 Historic Property information retrieved from the town website http://www.waterfordct.org/.
 Jordan Park House, 65 Rope Ferry Road, Waterford, Historic Resources Inventory, Nye Robert M., 1999, SHPO Library, Hartford.
Assessors information retrieved from the website http://www.prophecyone.us/index_prophecy.php?town=Waterford.
Map of the property retrieved from the study report.View photo
- Date of Compilation:
- Manjusha Patnaik, CT Trust for Historic Preservation