- Historic/Common Name:
- 230 Unquowa Road
- Fairfield »
- c. 1814
- Historic Designation:
- LHP, SR
- Property Authority:
- Fairfield Historic District Commission
- Nature of Authority:
- Eligible for Historic Home tax credits:
- General description:
The 'Powder House' located behind Tomlinson Middle School, off Unquowa Road, is important in the civic history of the Town. This structure was built at Town expense for the safe storage of munitions in the wake of the War of 1812. The building is 9' 11" wide by 18' 2" long by approximately 10' 5" high and contains two small rooms within. A rubble stone structure covered with a subsequently parged brick vault, the building was 'restored' in 1924 with a rough slate gambrel roof by the Eunice Dennie Burr Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. At the tie it was restores, additional land was acquired and a stone wall was constructed around its lot.
- Significance of the property:
Locally significant but also related to national events, the Fairfield Powder merits special consideration and protection.
- Relationship with the Surroundings:
Since the time when the 'Powder House' was built safely beyond the more populated center of Fairfield, many changes have occurred in the vicinity of this historic landmark such that it is now bounded to the extreme south and north by railroad tracks and Interstate I-95 respectively. The Town of Fairfield also built a school to the west and its parking lot now immediately abuts the 'Powder House' Lot.
- Building, stone wall
- Historic Use:
- Safe storage of munitions
- Present Use:
- Architectural Style:
- Vernacular, Rubble stone masonry with gambrel-roof
- 19th Century
- Town of Fairfield
 District information retrieved from the town website http://www.fairfieldct.org/.
 Fairfield Historic Properties Study Committee Report, 1999, SHPO Library, Hartford.
 Photograph retrieved from the website www.CTMonuments.net.
Assessors information retrieved from the website www.visionappraisal.com.
Map of the historic property retrieved from the study report, 1999, SHPO library, Hartford.View PDF
- Date of Compilation:
- Manjusha Patnaik, CT Trust for Historic Preservation