- Historic/Common Name:
- Jeremiah Mead House
- 29 Taconic Road
- Greenwich »
- Circa 1751; Circa 1830, 1930
- Historic Designation:
- LHP, SR, NR
- Property Authority:
- Historic District Commission, Town of Greenwich
- Nature of Authority:
- Eligible for Historic Home tax credits:
- General description:
Jeremiah Mead (1727-1815) was the second of three sons of Caleb and Mary Holmes Mead. He was the great grandson of John Mead, one of the '27 Proprietors of 1672' of Horseneck., the town's second settlement, west of the first one, called Greenwich, and the grandson of Ebenzer Mead, Horseneck's first tavern keeper. Ebenzer acquired the land in the unsettled northern part of the Town of Greenwich as early as 1708. In 1727 Ebenzer's son Caleb purchased land from his father 'between the mile and a half line and the Colony Line, between Byram River and Stamford line', including this designated property. The Jeremiah Mead House is a rambling clapboarded dwelling that consists of three main gable-roofed sections: a long two-and-half story seven-bay core, a slightly lower two-bay wing to the east and a two-story, T-shaped wing to the west, composed of a two-bay hyphen and a transverse-gable, perpendicular section. The core itself is comprised of three sections not readily apparent because of its uniform roofline. The eastern three bays were built c. 1830, the central three bays define the original dwelling of c. 1751 and the broad westernmost bay, containing the house's main entrance, was constructed in 1930, along with the east and west wings. Throughout the various wings and sections, most windows show six-over-six sash. 
- Significance of the property:
Architecture: This house is architecturally significant for two reasons. It is important primarily because of its original 1751 sections which I one of the only few structures of this age remaining in the Town of Greenwich. Furthermore its presumed original floor plan is quite unusual in comparison with other houses of that era, specifically the location of the main staircase and the narrowness of the chimney stack. The house is important secondarily as a work of Richard Henry Dana (1879 - 1933), a recognized authority on Colonial architecture. 
- Relationship with the Surroundings:
The property is located in a residential with scattered buildings visible from the site.
- Buildings, Garden, Rock walls, Ruins
- Historic Use:
- Private residence
- Present Use:
- Private residence
- Architectural Style:
- Colonial/ Colonial Revival
- 18th Century with 19th and 20th Century additions
- Hillman Sandra F
 District information retrieved from the town website http://www.greenwichct.org/.
 Kerschus Nils, Holbrook Christopher, Historic resource Inventory, Historic District Commission, Town of Greenwich, 2002/2003.
Assessors information and Parcel IDs retrieved from the online Real Estate property Taxes, accessed from the town website [https://greenwichct.munisselfservice.com/citizens/RealEstate/Default.aspx?mode=new].
Map of the historic property retrieved from the study report, SHPO library, Hartford.View photo
- Date of Compilation:
- Manjusha Patnaik, CT Trust for Historic Preservation